This piece features a deeply moulded, step-back mantel surmounting a plain frieze, that is flanked by fluted details. It also displays flute and reed details on the jambs that terminate on block plinths. It sports a worn, brown painted finish with an aged patina.
Provenance: Hancock House (Worcester, MA, built c. 1741). Former plaque on house (not included) reads: Built about 1741 by Daniel Henchman on Lincoln Street and for many years owned by John Hancock: Home of Levi Lincoln, Attorney General of the United States, Levi Lincoln, Second, and John Davis, Governors of Massachusetts. Marked by the Colonel Timothy Bigelow Chapter D. A. R. 1904.
Note: Daniel Henchman's (1712-62) daughter Lydia married Thomas Hancock (1703-64), who was the uncle of John Hancock. Thomas adopted John following his father's death and his mother's remarriage and willed the house to John after his death. Governor Levi Lincoln lived there from 1781 until his death in 1820. The Hancock House was moved from Lincoln Street to the corner of Grove and Lexington Streets around 1901. Literature: Collections of the Worcester Society of Antiquity
, Volume 7, 1888, p.106-8.
W 78 D 10 H 54 in.
Firebox: W 48 H 36 in.