Architects: Fisher and Fisher (Denver, CO, 1892)
3400 Belcaro Drive, Denver, CO
Belcaro is a palatial 33,000 square foot Georgian-style historic mansion with over 70 rooms and features an indoor tennis pavilion and two rooms imported from England. Lawrence Cowle Phipps (1862-1958), a Colorado state Senator from 1919 to 1931, commissioned the Mansion in part to create jobs during the Great Depression. Mrs. Phipps was very active with the University of Denver and Belcaro was eventually endowed to the University by the family in 1964 and served as a conference center until it was sold in 2010. It is set to undergo much needed restorations and will return to being a private residence. Of Fisher and Fisher's surviving buildings 50 are listed on the National Register of Historic Places including Belcaro.